Let me sidetrack from anime stuff for a bit ...
This is originally made for CGMA class Vehicle & Mech Design
by Paul Christopher. It was a fun class btw
I though it might be interesting and it could answer some questions so I'm uploading the dev process down here, including feedback sketch by the lecturer (the 4th image):
If you're lost on what's going on with these images:
1. The thumbs from the assignment brief.
2. Rough of one of the thumbs, that's no. 25 (by itself is a mix of 10, 16, and 21) - so it's a Zerg meets wasp meets aircraft at this stage.
3. Development, I was so intense on making the aircraft more aggressive, it ended up more like enemy alien ship by the end of it.
4. And so, the feedback came in. This was actually during a live Q&A session so there are many more talks and discussion than just those texts.
5. New dev to make the plane less aggressive, more run of the mill human plane. I started by mixing parts from all that I already have and adjust from there.
So to answer the question, while being a double-decker like Yukikaze's FA-2 (the structure is different btw, I got the model on my desk in the first place), I'd pay the tribute more to Zerg. And wasp and eagle moth. Oh and, probably NCC-1701-D too, Rokushou almost got that one with the 'saucer separation' thing. If there's anything from Yukikaze, the bottom rear part is highly inspired by MAVE's (in turn also probably from VF-19/VF-11). The many holes around the planes are vernier (the usage inspired by Macross, the design taken from space shuttle).
The rest of the tidbits:
- Nose from Boeing Bird of Prey
- Nose pod from F-14
- Gun and aerial refueling port from F-16
- Railgun probably some Gundam meets Macross meets whatever
- Paneling and actuator "bumps" on the control surfaces from F-22
I could be missing some more but those are more or less what I remember atm. Btw you know, the tilt of the canopy means the pilot can't use normal HUD (and thus isn't there), let's just assume it's HMD on the helmet lol.